Sunday, August 12, 2007

Le Tour de France


Ahhh, the Tour de France! The greatest month in the world of cyclists is always July when we sit down and finally get 3 weeks of non-stop cycling on television. We cheer for our favorite riders and teams-if your an American, probably Team Discovery (the only "American sponsored Team") and have memories of "The One" and all his splendor-Lance Armstrong. No doubt about it, it is an amazing athletic event. Cycling over 2,000 miles in 3 weeks is incredible. I really don't think you get a true appreciation for the event and/or cyclists in general until you saddle up yourself. I can attest to this, my longest ride to date is 50 miles and after the 3 and 1/2 hours in the saddle I came home ready to sleep for the next week! I have to respect the riders who ride at an average of 25 mph for 3 weeks!

Of Course I have a favorite rider...George Hincapie, super domestic of Team Discovery. He was there for all 7 of Lance's Tour wins and continues to be an extremely strong force and leader for the Team. His cool laid back demeanor makes him easy to be liked. He actually lives in Greenville-next month he is breaking ground on an "endurance community" for endurance athletes. Also during the first weekend in Se
pt. he will be in the US pro championships in Greenville defending his title. A few of the rides I go on take you right past his endurance community, and he is going to incorporate some of the rides into it. I've had the cool opportunity to see George riding around Greenville 3 times. One of which I was also on a bike and pulled up next to him at a red light on Old Buncombe road. I immediately peed in my pants, introduced myself, shook his hand, and then called all my cycling friends to tell them the news-which was about 3 people! Def, the best ride I ever had.

Alright, I know what you are thinking...Cycling is stupid...everybody is on drugs. Seems that way doesn't it? Which is a sad realization in just about every sport we cheer for and watch on a daily basis: Baseball. Check. Football. Check. Cycling. Check. Basketball. I'm going to check that one. Tennis. Check-well, maybe not tennis, but who knows! The "drugs" in cycling is referred to as "blood-doping". I'm not very familiar with exactly how its done but more or less it is drawing your blood, freezing it, and inserting it back into your body. It helps with the O2 level in your blood, making it easier for endurance athletes to perform. I'm pretty sure that is a simple definition of it.

It makes me sick to realize people, such as Hincapie, who usually finish far back in the Tour de
France may never get a shot to win it because of all the cheaters.

Also, Lance Armstrong...there's been so much debate over him, I feel bad for the guy. But he has had over 100 clean drug tests, so until something crazy comes up that says DRUGS!!! I'm supporting the guy.

I am partial to Team Discovery. Really, I have only been into cycling for about a year when my amazing girlfriend, Ashley, introduced me to the Tour. Her dad is an avid rider, and shortly after I bought my first bike and fell in love with it. ...But, Team Discovery (previously Team US Postal Service) was the home of Lance Armstrong, the greatest cyclist of all time. The awesome thing about Lance was the path. Cocky cyclist, cancer victim, cancer survivor, quitter, humbled, determined, incredibly hard worker, 7-time Tour de France Winner. (A lot of people do not know that Lance pretty much quit cycling shorty after he made his comeback after cancer.) I believe that he offers a lot for people to learn. Some of my friends and even my (amazing) Mom object to this statement.

Lance pretty much has made it clear that he is not remotely close to being or believing in Christianity. No doubt, this saddens my heart. I think if he had an outsiders look on his own life, how close to death he was, how he has been blessed, and the responsibility he has as a cancer survivor-these things could possibly change his life. It is not my belief that I should shun this man, just because he is not a Christian. I want to promote the great things that he represents.
Cancer Research, Never Giving Up, America, Hope, and Determination. And it is my prayer that while on Earth he will turn to the Lord. How much more fulfilling his life would be if this were the case. I recently made a commitment to pray for this man-prayer is a powerful thing!

I wear my Livestrong band with pride. I wear it for my family that has survived cancer, my friends that have survived cancer, and the hope that there will one day be a cure for this awful disease.

2 comments:

Parkison Family said...

You know I am not a Lance fan! He is a great athlete, but as a man....I am not sure if I like his character!

Unknown said...

You know Kelly would come on and talk about Lance Armstrong. I think all three of us are just waiting for Sept. 27 and the return of The Office.

I like your new blog Justin, you just have to learn to post a little more. So all of your crazed fans will have something to pull them through the lonely nights.