Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I loved the Bi-Lo Myrtle Beach Marathon!!!!


Probably one of the most awesome weekends I've ever been a part of.  The weekend involved good times, good friends, and a 26.2 mile run.  I gotta say, all three things were great.  Matt, Angela, Joe, Ashley, Bo, Joanna, and myself all headed down to the Beach on Friday night.

I had been carb-loading since Wednesday.  I was grinding down for the high mileage and brutal stress I was going to put the bod through on Saturday morning.  I don't think anyone got much sleep on Friday night.  Your heart is beating, you imagine the course, how you will finish, how your body will feel-it is intense!  You are thinking about all of these things while you are earnestly praying to God!  On the way to the race I said, "I'm pretty sure God is looking down laughing at us right now, saying, 'Hey Gabriel, come here!  Look what these idiots are about to do!'"  All while eating pop-corn and M&Ms.  I laughed at my own joke.  

We got to the start line and basically at that point it is all over but the crying.  I can't lie; it's a little depressing at times when you are at mile 10 or 15 or 20 and know you still have HOURS to run!  But at the same time, I wouldn't trade the experience, the emotions, or any of that for anything in the world.  It's almost like a game.

On my arm, I wrote a famous Lance Armstrong quote to help get me through the run. "Pain is temporary...quitting lasts forever."  My goal was to run the entire race, not to stop for anything except maybe water or to take a natural.  And I am proud to say I reached my goal, and didn't stop one time!!  My time was a little slower than I would've liked, but that is okay.  As mentioned, how do you trade the experience!

One of the reasons my friends and I love marathons is because of the stories that you come away with when you are done.  Stories about yourself, sure...but stories you learn or see from other people.  You meet and see all kinds of awesome people!  During this Marathon one man had an American flag strapped to his back and had run over 50 marathons.  I had a convo with a lady who had like 7 kids and was running the half-marathon.  At about mile 20 I met a girl who graduated from Clemson University.  We kept passing each other, back and forth.  She called me "Hibbett" and I called her "Clemson".  Great encouragement for that last little leg!

Another thing I loved about the Myrtle Beach Marathon was the sincerity of the fans.  Now, there wasn't as many fans as I thought there were going to be but those that were out there were great.  There was a guy on a bike who I passed 3 or 4 times who kept encouraging me a long the way.  There was a lady in a Wheel-chair who was yelling her head off with encouraging words-THAT'LL GET YOU FIRED UP!  There was a Red-head who had a Northern Accent yelling with more passion than I had seen in a long time: "You Go, YOUR ALMOST THERE, YOU'RE DOING GREAT"  Ahhhh, these words are so needed along the way!!

I love the marathon:  The emotion, the tears, the focus you must have, the determination to not quit, pushing your body to the limit and then just a little further, losing your mind, knowing that you cannot do it on your own, peeing in your pants so you don't have to stop (okay, I did not do this, but some people along the way did!).  

You have to experience a marathon.  Anyone can do it, proper training, focus, and the Lord will get you there!

The rest of the weekend was amazing as well.  Hilarity insued after the race because all were walking a little funny!  Joe and Ashley got engaged DURING the marathon.  The symbolism to what there life will be was unbelievable-well done, Joe.  Our post-race meal at Lee's Inland Kitchen was great, and the drive back and lunch at Matt's house was amazing.

It was a great weekend and I cannot wait to do it again!!


No comments: