Friday, February 20, 2009

A Solid Birthday Week!

If you family is anything like mine you do not have a Birthday...but a Birth-Week! It only comes once a year, and only about 70 times at that-so why not extend it a couple of more days!

My 24th Birth-Week has been nothing short of amazing. Mainly, because of the people who celebrated it with me. I wouldn't trade my friends for anything in the world. I am glad life is not about stuff and things, but about relationships!

My Birth-Week started Friday the 13th with a weekend off of work. Those are few and far between, so when they come I try to make the most out of them. But this weekend off was a little different. Six friends and I were headed down to Myrtle Beach for the Bi-Lo Marathon! My goal was to "not stop" the entire race-and I did it! So pumped; 26.2 mile sticker now shines proudly on the back of The Shark! (my car) The weekend was great. So many laughs, hurt bodies, sleep, and food!

I had a short day of work on Monday. I was in a ton of pain from the race, but totally worth it! I got off and headed straight to the 2nd best eatery in downtown Greenville-Barleys. I met the roomies for a couple of slices of the world's best pizza. From there I headed over to meet the Monday night crew for The City and a little birthday celebration. As soon as I walked in the door I was greeted with one of the best presents I had ever received-2 cases of Jamaica's finest soda-TING! That is right, 48 bottles of TING. Sheila and Cody, you know me so well!(You have to try it, if you have never had it...I'm running out fast, though!) Shortly there after, Meghan came over with another top present of all time-the best brownies you will ever eat along with a Lance Armstrong Calendar. It even has my name on it! It can't get any better than that. To top it off, I fell asleep on Sheila's couch (unbelievable right?) while getting a foot massage. A solid ending to a solid day of birth!

I was off on Tuesday and got the chance to sleep in; I was still trying to recover, but starting to feel pretty good again. About mid-day Mr Matt Geib and I headed out on the open road for a little cycling. Had to get the legs moving again; and it was just what the doctor ordered. Great company, a couple of climbs, great weather, and a few amazing views made for a great Tuesday ride.


Fast forward to Thursday night; the long-awaited Birthday dinner at Island Blend Jerk BBQ downtown Greenville. This place is one of my reasons for living! I got the medium-sized jerk pork plate with a side of Coco bread...amazing! A good crowd of solid friends made the night even more awesome and memorable.

I have to mention a couple of more gifts that I received; these were amazing. Joe and Ashley hooked me up with elastic laces so that during a triathlon I don't have to tie them, but simply pull them tight. A Whole Foods gift card (Thanks Ready's!)-I love that place. And a tube of DZ Nuts chamois cream for those aching long rides! Shawn and Joe know me too well! A couple of great gifts.

So, it's all over but the crying now; can't wait to do it again next year!


No comments: