Sunday, October 28, 2007

Tat tat tat it up!


That's right, no need in fixing your computer monitor, 'ole JP got a tattoo. Last Saturday, October the 20th Ashley, Eric, and I made the trek up to Hendersonville, NC to Empire Tattoos to get the body art done. (Shout out to Jeremy-I'm coming back for another soon!) I have wanted a tattoo for years! And finally, the day came. Dad always said, "Not while I'm paying the bills." I respected Dad's wishes and waited until I was financially on my own to get the art work. And...I love it. I can see where people say that it is an "addiction". Once you get one, you just keep on coming back for more!

FAQ's:

Did it hurt: You know, it really wasn't that bad. The tattoo guy, Jeremy, would put the needle to the skin for about 3 seconds, and then wipe, 3 seconds, and wipe...so the pain was never that bad. I winced a few times, but that was it!.

Why Africa? Well, I wanted something that has meaning in my life. Any future tattoo that I get I want to also either be from a significant event or something that has eternal significance in my life. Africa definitely qualified. Going changed my prospective on life, I always want to help and support Africa in some way. Conveniently, it is my job right now, but even when this season passes I would like to be involved in this beautiful continent somehow.

Right now, I have two countries outlined: Kenya and Swaziland. I've served in Kenya during the summer (going back this week) and will be going to Swaziland this week. I wanted the tattoo to be a lifelong project. Whenever I enter another country (not just the airport) I can throw another outline on my back.

I put it on my back so that I could cover it up when needed, but show it off when I wanted to! It's a constant reminder of the situations in Africa...a reminder that I/We can do something about it.

So, there it is. I'm a fan. I'm thinking of the next tattoo right now. Right now I'm thinking "MotherLand" tattooed on my side waistline. If you have any good ideas, send them my way.

1 comment:

Eric said...

Man, I am mad because I haven't been able to get mine as of yet, but it is coming for sure. You may be back from the dark continent to get your second and join in on my first. That was the fastest tattoo ever though, I won't forget that