Thursday, July 31, 2008

Family

Man I love my family. I don't know what I would do without them. Now, when I say family I'm talking about my extended family, not just the 'rents-though I love them too. I'm talking Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Grandparents...amazing. Thanks to a few divorces, I have a pretty big family. Growing up with 8 Grandparents ain't too bad! Essentially, I am my family. They have helped shape me into who I am today. My parents nurtured me, taught me, and loved me; and in turn, I want to be like them when I grow old-it's like a cycle. I can always count on my family too. Some a lot more than others, but the bond I have with them is undeniable and unbelievable.
There are still some family problems; there always is (you can pick your friends, not your family!) Namely, my biological Mom. Not having ever had a relationship with her is tough to deal with sometimes. Am I better for it, you bet. Patti Pitts my quote, unquote "step mom" is one of the greatest things to ever happen to me.

After being in Africa for a month last year, I saw firsthand how not having a family affects you and your life. There's not much direction, not much promise. It's tough. Seeing young children care for their YOUNGER siblings will sober anybody up.


I thank God for my family.

1 comment:

Eric said...

Dude, you inspired me to write a blog about the similar subject. This school situation has really taught me that my family has my back! Later roommate