Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I have stopped praying before eating...

That's right.  I have stopped saying my "before meal" prayers.  Something that has been a staple for me for the past, well, forever.  It has been tough not bowing my head before I devour a meal-and, essentially, that is why I stopped doing it.

I had a good convo with good friends about a month and a half ago about this very subject.  We all agreed that our "before meal" prayers weren't really prayers at all.  I know that for as long as I can remember, I have basically been a Pharisee about praying and not even realized it.  I would pray before a meal as a possible "witnessing tool".  I thought, "maybe some one will see me praying and get saved," (something along those lines.)  Definitely not the right reason to be praying.  I also began to think about what I prayed before a meal.  I soon realized it was basically the same old blahness every time.  To the God who created me, has sustained me, blessed me beyond belief- "Thank you for this food, Amen." doesn't seem to cut it.  

My "before meal" prayers were not genuine and I did not pray for the right reason.  So I stopped.  And guess what.  I feel more grateful now for food and the little things I take for granted than ever.  

For example, I did my bi-monthly grocery shopping the other day and was waiting in the Deli line waiting for some fresh cut cheese-I was leaning over my grocery cart and saw the $75 worth (budgeted!) of groceries and was overwhelmed.  I immediately thanked the Lord for the bounty.  I have never not known when the next meal was going to come.  (4/5 of the World's population worries about that everyday.)  

Now, I am not advocating not praying.  This is something that I need to do out of respect and to honor my Mighty God better.  When you pray-do not be flippant; don't be passive; pray like you've never prayed before everytime you go to the Lord; pray BIG; and Honor God in your prayers and all that you do.



No comments: